"The more you know, the more protected you are. Awareness is your greatest ally."
- Increased awareness of the dangers abroad pertaining to gender violence.
- Confidence in preventing and responding to such dangers
- Feeling comfortable in having a conversation around the topic with others and yourself
- What would you like to come away with today?
- Take a moment to record your personal goals
SAFER General Tips
ALWAYS KNOW YOUR SURROUNDINGS
Acknowledge how locals are behaving and be aware. Also discover where your nearest medical resources are.
DEVELOP A SUPPORT NETWORK
Maintain communication with a cohort, faculty advisor, and support back home. Record contact information with the American Embassies.
REFLECT ON YOUR EXPECTATIONS
Acknowledge your wants, needs, and goals of a trip/outing. Share these expectations with someone in your support network and check in regularly.
DEVELOP A SAFETY PLANS
Arrange for transportation to and from outings, have contact information written down for local authorities, medical services, and someone in your support network at all times.